1 eggplant (aka aubergine)
1 large onion, chipped
1-3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of olive oil
tin of tomato puree
turmeric for color
1/2 tsp sugar
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp mint sauce (optional)
- peel and dice eggplant. put in a bowl of salt water and leave underwater for an hour (use a plate to weigh down)
- fry onion in oil until brown
- add drained eggplant, fry another 20 mins
- add tomato paste, pepper, turmeric, garlic
- simmer until eggplant is soft, adding enough water to stop it burning.
- if you like garlic, you could add additional garlic now for a stronger flavor
- puree with a blender.
- simmer until it tastes cooked, maybe 15 mins
- add salt, sugar, lemon juice to taste
- chill in refrigerator.
- stir in mint sauce
This goes well with pita bread.